This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Does the tool work with TFS 2012+Update 1

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I'm trying to use the TFS Test Steps Editor against TFS 2102 + Update 1 and it looks like something is broken. It works perfectly fine if the test steps do not have a return character or second line but as soon as there's more than one line on a specific step I get this output in the tool:
<steps id="0" last="5"><step id="1" type="ValidateStep"><parameterizedString isformatted="true"><DIV><P>Step 1</P></DIV></parameterizedString><parameterizedString isformatted="true"><DIV><P>Result 1</P></DIV></parameterizedString><description></description></step><step id="2" type="ValidateStep"><parameterizedString isformatted="true"><DIV><P>Step 2</P></DIV></parameterizedString><parameterizedString isformatted="true"><DIV><P>Result 2</P></DIV></parameterizedString><description></description></step><step id="3" type="ValidateStep"><parameterizedString isformatted="true"><DIV><P>Step 3</P></DIV></parameterizedString><parameterizedString isformatted="true"><DIV><P>Result 3</P></DIV></parameterizedString><description></description></step><step id="4" type="ValidateStep"><parameterizedString isformatted="true"><DIV><P>Step 4</P></DIV></parameterizedString><parameterizedString isformatted="true"><DIV><P>Result 4</P></DIV></parameterizedString><description></description></step><step id="5" type="ValidateStep"><parameterizedString isformatted="true"><DIV><P>Step 5</P></DIV></parameterizedString><parameterizedString isformatted="true"><DIV><P>Result 5</P><P>With a Note</P></DIV></parameterizedString><description></description></step></steps>

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Thanks for the report. Where are you seeing this output? In the actions grid itself? A screenshot would be great.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Please find the attachment, test step editor is displaying html tags in the grid. Is there a plan to fix this utility to work with TFS 2012
Apr 30, 2013 at 1:51 AM
alianfal wrote:
Please find the attachment, test step editor is displaying html tags in the grid. Is there a plan to fix this utility to work with TFS 2012
![Image]: https://picasaweb.google.com/106439258859893552101/TestStepeditorfor2012
May 30, 2013 at 4:57 AM
Edited May 30, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Hi

is this fix? I have taken the latest version but I am still getting the same issue on MTM 2012 Update 2.

Thanks
The Ghost
Coordinator
Jul 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Short answer: the tool uses the TFS 2010 client object model, even against TFS 2012. Try applying the following fixes (in this order) and let me know if it fixes the issue:
Long answer, sorry to say that I have not had time to investigate this in detail. I think one issue is that the tool is built against the VS2010 client object model. What I would like to find the time to do is create a separate release targeted to the VS2012 model. 90% of the bug reports I get are from users who have only VS2012 installed and get assembly binding failure when the tool wants the VS2010 assemblies. I have a hunch that bumping up to the 2012 client model may fix some of the other issues as well.

Also, is it possible that you have the TFS 2010 RTM client model installed? If so, can you update to TFS 2010 client SP1 and re-test? There is also the "2010 to 2012 compatibility GDR" that coincides with the time that MTM added multi-line steps: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29082. Aaaand there is another client-side update: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34677

So my hunch is that some combinations of TFS server version and client version + updates work, and some don't. I haven't had the time to investigate which combos are bad or good. I think that's probably a waste of time, anyway, and what I should do is have a TFS 2010-latest-compatible release and a TFS 2012-latest-compatible release, instead of trying to ride along w/ the 2010 updates to keep 2010- and 2012- compatibility. (Plus 2013, when it's released, argh.)

Anyway, I would really welcome help with the following:
  • Bug reports that include the specific version of TFS on the server, and specific version of TFS client bits on the client.
  • Pull requests on the Github page https://github.com/ajryan/TFSTestStepsEditor for
    • Adding a second .csproj with all files linked that targets the 2012 client. Can use a compiler define to inject alternate code where required
    • General bugfixes of any kind
Thanks!
Aidan
Aug 13, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Not sure if this will be the case for others since my user base had varying behaviors after I upgraded TFS to 2012, but the TFS 2010 client SP1 approach didn't work when I was dealing with this issue with my local build of this utility. What did seem to work though was upgrade MTM on the client computers to 2012 and rebuild the application with links to the 11.0.0.0 assemblies instead of 10.0.0.0. I also added something to remove tags (in TestStepsEditor.Tfs.SimpleSteps.Create) that were left behind from tests saved incorrectly (<DIV>, </DIV>, <P>, </P>) since there were artifacts left behind in the test cases from the mismatched client/server versions. Just a note this approach will break the utility for all users who are still running MTM 2010. Hope this helps someone else.
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Thanks, Josiah. I just published two releases, one targeted at the 2010 object model and another targeted at 2012. I did a quick test against a local 2012 instance and it looks OK to me so far. Anyone else who saw the compatibility issues able to give the new build a shot?

The new build also has our first community-contributed feature (by Github user MikePoz59) -- a work item query browser/test case picker!
Nov 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I have VS 2012 update 2 and I have installed the latest tool intended for VS 2012 and still face issues with display of (<DIV>, </DIV>, <P>, </P>) in title and expected results.
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Hi Nagmouli,

What version of TFS are you connecting to?

Do you get the markup in Test Steps Editor, Microsoft Test Manager, or both?

Thanks,
Aidan
Nov 5, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Hi Aidan
I'm connecting to TFS 2012 Update 2.
The testcases are displayed properly in Microsoft Test Manager, however in Test Steps Editor it displays with (<DIV>, </DIV>, <P>, </P>) and other html tags if the test title or expected result has formatted font.

Regards
Nagmouli
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Unfortunately, font formatting is not supported. I have been considering adding some kind of rich-text-formatting editor, but until then, the only supported formatting is newlines.

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Hi Aidan
My comment doesn't refer to font formatting support in Test Steps editor. If in MTM I have created test cases either plain content or formatted content, in Test Steps editor the contents are alwayas displayed with tags and hence the test cases are not readable in Test Steps editor tool.
Is there any configurations or changes to be done to make it work?
Let me know if you need any other details to investigate.
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM
You're contradicting yourself. You said "... if the test title or expected result has formatted font."

If you are getting the HTML tags for test steps that have no formatting applied (meaning the bold / italic / etc options in the MTM toolbar), the most common cause for that has been mismatch of Test Steps Editor version versus TFS version. Are you completely certain that your TFS instance is 2012 update 2?