This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Made some enhancements

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Hi guys,

I've made the following enhancements to this tool:

• You can click on "open for edit" in Visual Studio and this tool will launch (and not Test Manager). I've done that by registering the app as a mtm:// and mtms:// handler.
  • The app now prompts for your TFS credentials when you are not on the same domain as the TFS server.

I'm trying to get developer access though so submit the changes. Haven't heard back so far.

Cheers, Adam.

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Hi Adam,

I moved jobs and forgot that my old email address was on my profile here. You can go to the Source Code area of this project and click Submit A Patch to send me your improvements. Sounds like some nice additions, thanks!

Aidan

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Submitted, cheers !

I look forward to making more enhancements, I'm thinking about integrating existing TFS queries into the tool so you can browse test cases (although now with the mtm:// integration it's pretty easy to just keep using visual studio and opening from there).

May 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Hi Aidan,

Have you had a chance to look at the patch I submitted?

Cheers, Adam.

Coordinator
May 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for reminding me :-) Very busy at work.

I have pulled it down and am looking at merging right now. I think I am going to change it not to force registration as mtm/mtms handler but make it a commandline option. Not all users may want this to occur automatically. I will also add a commandline option to return the handler registration to the default.

Thanks,

Aidan

May 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Hi Aidan,

How about a menu option, like Toggle Always On Top?

A command line option will blow the minds of many of the intended users I have in mind :-)

Cheers, Adam.

Coordinator
May 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Good idea. Would you mind submitting another patch that implements "Register MTM handler" and "Restore original MTM handler" in the system menu?

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM, spudstuff <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Aidan,

How about a menu option, like Toggle Always On Top?

A command line option will blow the minds of many of the intended users I have in mind :-)

Cheers, Adam.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (teststepseditor@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email teststepseditor@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

May 9, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Yep. I'll have to keep a 'backup' copy of the original MTM handler regkey tree somewhere though. Maybe under the regkey the app uses for settings.

Cheers, Adam.

Coordinator
May 9, 2012 at 10:03 PM
That's a good idea.

thanks!
Aidan

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM, spudstuff <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Yep. I'll have to keep a 'backup' copy of the original MTM handler regkey tree somewhere though. Maybe under the regkey the app uses for settings.

Cheers, Adam.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (teststepseditor@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email teststepseditor@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Hello Gyus,

Is there any update on this?
Mar 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM
abalyan wrote:
Hello Gyus,

Is there any update on this?
Hi,

Sorry no update. Turns out trying to accommodate all the conditions for backing/reverting up the existing MTM handler was quite hard.

Best thing for you to do is to grab the code + patch and go with it as is I reckon.

Cheers, Adam.
Mar 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Hi Adam,

I cannot find the patch you submitted on Apr 20, 2012 at 5:55. Can you plz navigate me to correct location or please let me know what changes i need to make in the code for mtm handler.

Thanks
Mar 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM
This was written against 1.6.1 but should work for 2.x (haven't tried it though).

In the MainForm code behind, add this at the top of the MainForm() constructor:
        this.RegisterAsMtmHandler("mtm");
        this.RegisterAsMtmHandler("mtms");
And then add this method to the class, too:
private void RegisterAsMtmHandler(string scheme)
{
    try
    {
        RegistryKey key = Registry.ClassesRoot.OpenSubKey(scheme);
        if (key != null)
        {
            key.Close();
            Registry.ClassesRoot.DeleteSubKeyTree(scheme);
        }
        using (key = Registry.ClassesRoot.CreateSubKey(scheme))
        {
            key.SetValue(null, "Test Steps Editor");
            key.SetValue("URL Protocol", "");
            using (RegistryKey key2 = key.CreateSubKey("shell"))
            {
                key2.SetValue(null, "open");
                using (RegistryKey key3 = key2.CreateSubKey(@"open\command"))
                {
                    key3.SetValue(null, Application.ExecutablePath + " /openurl:\"%1\"");
                }
            }
        }
    }
    catch (Exception exception)
    {
        MessageBox.Show("Could not register this application as the default " + scheme + ":// handler.\n\n" + exception.Message, "Could not register");
    }
}
Note you'll need to also add:
using Microsoft.Win32;
The first time you run the new version with that code, it will register itself (in the currently executing location) as the handler for mtm:// and mtms:// links. If you move the app you'll need to re-run it directly again to have it update the registery key.
Mar 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Thanks Adam

It seems that the project is build with VS 2011/12....I cannot open the solution as i have VS 2010 which supports upto Framework 4.0
Mar 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM
abalyan wrote:
Thanks Adam

It seems that the project is build with VS 2011/12....I cannot open the solution as i have VS 2010 which supports upto Framework 4.0
Right. I'm also on VS2010. Perhaps ajryan might take this and run with it - extending as necessary into the next version.
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Hmmmm.... Maybe just a .REG file linked on the project homepage with instructions to back up the existing key and substitute the actual path to the exe?
Mar 14, 2013 at 5:25 AM
Anything that can open teststep from VS "Open for Edit" will work.
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM
If anyone wants to create such a .REG file, I'm happy to host it here and link from the project homepage.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM, abalyan <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Anything that can open teststep from VS "Open for Edit" will work.