This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Problem with shared step

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Hi,

I tested your application this morning and i tried to edit an existing test case. It works very fine but... it renamed all my shared step with "shared step id XXX" so when i came back on MTM, my shared step was unfounded because at the beginning they have a different name !

What about this issue ?

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I am sorry this happened. Will the following steps reproduce the issue?

1. Open a test case that has shared steps inside
2. Make a change to a non-shared step
3. Save the test case

If so, I will try to reproduce and fix.

Aidan

May 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM
Hi Aidan,

I am using 2.0.1 and the problem still exist in MTM 2010. Do you have fix to this?

Thank you,
Ming Man
Coordinator
Jul 3, 2013 at 3:53 AM
I still don't have a specific set of repro steps. Please let me know:
  1. Version of TFS (including service packs and updates)
  2. Version of Visual Studio or Team Explorer (including service packs and updates)
  3. Specific steps to follow to reproduce the issue
Thanks
Aidan
Feb 18, 2014 at 11:46 PM
  1. Version of TFS: 10.0.30319.360
  2. Version of Visual Studio: (Ultimate) 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
  3. Steps to reproduce:
    a. Open test case #1 that has shared steps (note that any shared step is listed as "Shared step ID xxxxx", for example:
    Shared step ID 31243
    Shared step ID 25232
    b. Copy steps, including the shared steps
    c. Open test case #2 and paste the steps (shared steps still listed as "Shared step ID xxxxx")
    d. Save test case #2 and open test case #2 in MTM, note that any shared step is listed as, "Shared step ID xxxxxx"
I hope this helps. This is a great tool and still the easiest thing to edit test cases, but still a pain to have to go back and update all of these. I was hoping the "Shared step ID xxxxx" would 'convert' back to whatever the shared step title is, but that does not appear to be the case. Or that when running the test, MTM might understand and run the shared steps, but again, that does not appear to be happening.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Tim
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2014 at 4:47 AM
Hi Tim,

I think this is different than the originally-reported issue. Looks like your issue is specifically related to Copy-Paste. This is a scenario that was not considered in the design of the tool, so just the cell text is being literally copied over without regard for the link to the actual shared step. As a workaround, you could use Visual Studio to copy the test work item, and then open the copied test in Test Steps Editor.

Currently my day job demands too much of my time for me to work on this, but I gratefully accept pull requests at https://github.com/ajryan/TFSTestStepsEditor. You can also create an issue on the GitHub project which will help me remember to get around to this some day. Sorry I can't offer more help right now!

Thanks,
Aidan
Feb 19, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I am using copy-paste, but if you look at the very first step to reproduce, you’ll notice the issue occurs from the moment I open the first test case. Like a lot of issues, there are multiple ways to reproduce it, but since it didn’t appear anyone else had provided steps, I thought I would provide my specific steps. That said, I have the latest version of the tool (2.1.0) and the issue is there from the time I load my test case.

Thanks anyway,

Tim Primm

SQA Analyst

Phone: 503-922-5648

Fax: 503-922-6648

Coordinator
Feb 19, 2014 at 4:30 PM
So you're saying just opening a test case with shared steps and saving that test case causes errors?
Feb 19, 2014 at 4:42 PM

My apologies, I leapt to a conclusion. When I open that test case, it has “Shared step ID 31243” in place of my shared step title, so I thought that was where the problem originated. If I edit and save that test case, it appears to work correctly. If I copy that step to a different test case and save it, it does not revert to the title, so it does appear to be an issue with copy and paste.

It seems the copy and paste in MTM likes to rearrange steps, and that’s by far a worse problem! Maybe I can convince my company to upgrade to MTM 2012! J

Thanks again,

Tim Primm

SQA Analyst

Phone: 503-922-5648

Fax: 503-922-6648