This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Repackage as a VS Add-in

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I would love to see this extended to have the option of embedding as a VS plug-in.  We have had several testers even ask for the ability to do this kind of editing outside of MTM and specifically inside VS - it would be great to enable some VS integration scenarios.

Coordinator
Dec 15, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Hi HintonBR,

I can think of two possibilities for VS integration: as an add-in (or VS2010 extension), or as a custom work item tracking control. The latter might be nicer, you would edit your WIT definition and replace the default steps list control with this one.

Which do you think would be more usable?

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM

A custom work item control would be brillant!

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Agreed.   The fact that you even have to open MTM now to edit test steps is very annoying.  They changed this following Beta 2 and I still don't know why they did that.  If a launcher would be available on the Test Case work item that would be HIGHLY productive for us since this tool is a much better editor and viewer of steps then either VS or MTM.   Once parameters are included for editing that will be even better.

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:24 AM

+1 for custom control :-). I created an issue (in this project's Issue Tracker tab) for voting and progress tracking. Add your vote to the issue if you also want the custom control.

Note custom control requires customizing the TestCase WIT for each TFS Team Project. Automating this final install step would be a separate (non-trivial) task. For more restricted TFS environments (or with less time/skill to maintain custom WITs) the plug-in option may be a more usable solution.

Coordinator
Jun 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Issue is here: http://teststepseditor.codeplex.com/workitem/6241

Please vote if you have interest, I may find the time to work on a TFS work item control if enough are interested. Also, I welcome changesets from anyone with an improvement.